If you’re in the market for a new car, it can be hard to know which features and options are worth investing in. With many different choices available, it’s tough to decide which ones you should have.
Luckily, the team at car finance firm Carvine has got you covered. We’ve compiled a list of the top car features and options that drivers in the UK should look for when choosing their next vehicle.
From advanced safety features to must-have tech options, these are the things that will make your driving experience better, safer and more enjoyable.
So, whether you’re a first-time car buyer or an experienced driver, be sure to check out our list of the best car features and options to invest in. You won’t regret it!
Why it’s important to invest in the right car features and options
It can be hard to know which features are worth investing in, but we think there are some key features and options that drivers should look for when choosing their next car. They include:
- Safety features: One of the most important things to consider when choosing a car are the safety features. Look for cars with advanced equipment like lane departure warning, blind spot detection and automatic emergency braking. These features can help you avoid accidents and keep you safe on the road.
- Technology: Another important factor to consider is the technology in the car. Look for cars with items such as hands-free calling, wireless charging and a modern infotainment system. These features will make your life easier and help you stay connected while on the go.
- Fuel efficiency: Another important factor to consider is fuel efficiency. Look for cars that have good fuel economy ratings so you can save money on fuel. Hybrid and electric cars are typically the most fuel-efficient, but there are also several petrol-powered cars with good fuel economy ratings.
Some other important factors to consider when choosing a car include its size and its price. Make sure to do your research so you can find the best car for you and your needs. You should also look at the following features and options:
- Performance: Another important factor to consider is the car’s performance. If you’re looking for a car that’s fun to drive, make sure to look for one with good acceleration, handling and braking.
- Practicality: Another thing to consider is practicality. Look for cars with plenty of storage space, comfortable seats and easy-to-use controls. The issue of practicality will be important for families, especially those with young children, and for anyone who enjoys the outdoors.
The top safety features to look for in a new car
Having mentioned safety features for a new car, you need to appreciate that technology has moved on and modern cars are packed with gadgets to help keep you safe. These are also a growing requirement to achieve the all-important five-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.
For families, safety is always going to be a top priority but with so many different safety features and options available you might struggle to decide on the ones that are worth your cash.
Here are some key safety features and options that we think drivers should look for when choosing their next car:
Anti-lock brakes are one of the most important safety features to look for in a new car. They can help to prevent skidding and provide better control during emergency braking situations. They work by ensuring the brakes don’t lock when you need them most.
Lane departure warning
Lane departure warning is a feature that can be extremely helpful, especially on long trips on motorways. The system will monitor the road and alert you if you start to drift out of your lane. This can help you avoid accidents and stay safe on the road.
Blind spot detection
Blind spot detection is another great safety feature to look for in a new car. It uses sensors to monitor the area around your vehicle and alerts you if there’s another vehicle in your blind spot. This can help you avoid accidents and stay safe on the road – even when you think you have checked your wing mirror to see if there is anything in the way before pulling out.
Automatic emergency braking
Automatic emergency braking is a feature that can be extremely helpful in preventing accidents. It uses sensors to monitor the road and, if it detects an imminent collision, it will automatically apply the brakes. This can help to avoid or reduce the severity of accidents. The feature is particularly useful on motorways when travelling at speed when an incident can occur, and events unfold quickly afterwards.
Electronic stability control
Electronic stability control is another essential feature that can help to keep your car under control during difficult driving conditions. This will prove useful if you need to swerve out of the way of another vehicle or object without losing control of your own vehicle.
Airbags are another important safety feature that can help to protect you and your passengers in the event of a collision. Most cars now have lots of them for the knees, side impact and even those sitting in the rear seats.
Child safety seats
If you have young children, it’s important to make sure that your car is equipped with child safety seats. These seats can help to protect your children in the event of a collision by keeping them safe in their seat. Most modern cars have Isofix attachment points to help secure the seat. This last point is important – all child safety seats need to be securely fastened so they remain in place should the car be involved in an impact.
These are a great safety feature, especially if you often find yourself driving in low-light conditions. You just switch the system on, and it will decide when the headlights need to be turned on – a useful feature when driving into tunnels.
The must-have tech options for your new car
There are a lot of different tech options available on cars these days, and it can be hard to know which ones are worth investing in. Here are some key tech features and options that the team at Carvine believe drivers should look for when choosing their next car:
- Bluetooth connectivity is a must-have for any modern car. It allows you to connect your phone to your car’s audio system, so you can make hands-free calls (and avoid a fine and penalty points for holding a mobile phone whilst driving) and stream music wirelessly.
- A good infotainment system is also essential. Make sure it’s easy to use and offers a wide range of features, such as satellite navigation, DAB radio and smartphone integration. It might be worth flicking through the menu structure to see how complicated it is (some modern cars have very complicated menus to navigate)
- Stop-start technology. This automatically turns off the engine when you’re stopped in traffic or at a red light and starts it up again when you’re ready to move off.
Another key feature to look for is adaptive cruise control. This uses sensors to automatically adjust your speed, so you can maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you.
As well as being a great safety feature we mention above, lane keeping assist can also help to reduce fatigue when you’re driving long distances to help maintain your positioning in a lane. An alert will sound if you go over the white lines.
Parking sensors and a reversing camera which shows the rear image on a screen are also worth investing in, especially if you find parking difficult.
Other car features and options worth investing in
There are other features and options available on the market that are certainly worth considering. They include:
- A good sound system: music can make any journey more enjoyable, so it’s worth splurging on a top-quality sound system.
- Satellite navigation: this can be a lifesaver if you’re unfamiliar with an area, or just want to avoid getting lost!
- Heated seats: perfect for chilly winter mornings or evenings
- Cruise control: ideal for long journeys where you want to maintain a steady speed
- Automatic transmission: this can make driving in stop-and-start traffic much easier and less stressful.
Car Features/Options You Should Definitely Invest In
There are a lot of different features and options available when it comes to cars, but this just makes it more difficult in selecting a vehicle you want. Despite this, we think there are some key features and options that drivers should look for when choosing their next car.
Safety is always going to be a top priority, check out features like anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control and airbags.
If you have young children, make sure your car is equipped with child safety seats. And don’t forget about important tech features like Bluetooth connectivity and a good infotainment system to help make the journey more enjoyable.